Monday 6 May 2013

The Woo Woo Kid (In The Mood)

USA Release: 16th September 1987
Watched online: Sunday 31st March 2013
Rating: PG
Genre: Comedy, Romance
Runtime: 1hr 38mins
IMDb Plot Synopsis: Based upon the true story of "Sonny" Wisecarver. In 1944, Sonny made headlines nationwide due to his affairs with 2 older adult women. (ie. He was so irresistible, that he was a danger to women everywhere) Eventually being taken to court by the local authorities. He was only 15.


My Review: In the grips of my Grey’s Anatomy obsession I decided to venture out and see what other work cast members have done. Patrick Dempsey plays the McDreamy Dr Shepherd and he hasn’t played many other high-profile roles other than his break-out in Can’t Buy Me Love, which I reviewed recently. The Woo Woo Kid came up randomly while searching for his other stuff and I couldn’t help but take a look after seeing how young he was. He’s really changed over the years but he’s still as dreamy as ever here. 
The whole film is very old-school in style and traditional in structure but there’s something comforting about that nostalgia it brings, even if I wasn’t actually alive when it was made! Set in the mid 40s onwards it really captures the era with fantastic costumes and music - I really love that period!
I’m not sure what I was expecting but the concept was intriguing and as the film went on it got more and more interesting. Dempsey is a natural on screen and without him the film might have felt a little stiff but his charisma and boyish charm keeps you watching until the end. The story is so outrageous its hard to believe that its based on a true story! It was a fun watch and I can’t believe I hadn’t heard of it before.

Score: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...