Monday 18 March 2013

The Woman In Black

UK Release: 10th February 2012
Watched on DVD: Thursday 3rd January 2013
Rating: 12A
Genre: Drama, Horror, Thriller
Runtime: 1hr 35mins
IMDb Plot Synopsis: A young lawyer travels to a remote village where he discovers the vengeful ghost of a scorned woman is terrorising the locals.



My Review: I had high hopes for this film, after all the buzz around it last year. I’m not usually good with strong horror movies so I liked that everyone was supposedly so scared from just a good old-fashioned Victorian gothic horror story where the frights are all in the mind. I was also intrigued to watch Daniel Radcliffe in a role outside of Harry Potter, and playing a father at that. 
He was surprisingly good and carried the film brilliantly, although I’m still not convinced about him being a Dad. The cinematography of the isolated Victorian village was done very well and set the scene for all the spooky goings on. I was captivated right from the start and definitely gripped the chair arms I was sitting on on more than one occasion - as you can see from the trailer it definitely gives you the chills as it is very creepy!
However, the ending was a huge let-down for me and I was so angry that it coloured my view of the film completely. I thought it was a terrible, very un-satisfying way to end, what had been a very thrilling and compelling watch. So I would say, go ahead and watch if you love a good scare, but just be prepared to be rather annoyed by the conclusion.

Score: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...