Monday 25 February 2013

Mysterious Skin


UK Release: 20th May 2005
Watched on LoveFilm Instant: Tuesday 18th December 2012
Rating: 18
Genre: Drama
Runtime: 1hr 45mins
Tagline: Two boys. One can't remember. The other can't forget.
IMDb Plot Synopsis: Brian Lackey is determined to discover what happened during an amnesia blackout when he was eight years old, and then later woke with a bloody nose. He believes he was abducted by aliens, and N. McCormick, a fellow player on Brian's childhood baseball team, may be the key as to exactly what happened that night. As Brian searches for the truth and tries to track him down, Neil McCormick takes up hustling and moves to New York, in attempts to forget childhood memories that haunt him. Together, the two of them uncover the terrible truth of the scars they share.

My Review: It was while seeking as many Joseph Gordon-Levitt films I could find that I stumbled across this incredibly dark and intense film on LoveFilm. I love it when you go into a film with next to no knowledge of what you’re about to embark on. I had no clue that I was about to watch something so brilliant and raw and I was very glad I did.
The content itself could get quite disturbing at times but it was absolutely worth it for JG-L who, after this, has become one of my favourite actors. He was hypnotising as Neil, a young teenager growing up in a small town with, as we gradually discover, some rather traumatising issues. This is then interwoven beautifully with Brian’s story as we soon learn the truth of how they are connected. It was gripping from start to finish and, even two months later, makes me feel both uneasy and yet glad to have seen it as it was a truly remarkable piece of film-making.

Score: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...