Monday 26 November 2012

The Awakening

UK Release: 11th November 2011
Watched on LoveFilm Instant: Monday 29th October 2012 
Rating: 15
Genre: Horror, Thriller
Runtime: 1hr 47mins
Tagline: All the children are gone... except one.
IMDb Plot Synopsis: In 1921, England is overwhelmed by the loss and grief of World War I. Hoax exposer Florence Cathcart visits a boarding school to explain sightings of a child ghost. Everything she believes unravels as the 'missing' begin to show themselves.

My Review: I’d heard many good things about this when it was released around this time last year and so I was excited to see it featured on LoveFilm. Starring the fabulous Rebecca Hall and Dominic West (who was incredible in Appropriate Adult amongst other things) the acting credentials were already there, as were the beautiful cinematography. Right from the beginning I knew that even if the plot was no good I’d at least enjoy watching it as it was so intensely filmed. 
Thankfully I needn’t have worried as, while I’m not usually one for ghost stories, Awakening turned out to be just as twisty-turny and smart as I had hoped. The dark and misty atmosphere it created had me gripped from start to finish and it was an intense ride! 
I’d definitely recommend it on a dark winter’s night...

Score: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...