Tuesday 14 August 2012

A Scanner Darkly

UK Release: 18th August 2006
Watched on DVD: Wednesday 18th July 2012
Rating: 15
Genre: Animation, Crime, Drama
Runtime: 1hr 40mins
Tagline: What Does A Scanner See?
IMDb Plot Synopsis: In a totalitarian society in a near future, the undercover detective Bob Arctor is working with a small time group of drug users trying to reach the big distributors of a brain-damaging drug called Substance D. His assignment is promoted by the recovery center New Path Corporation, and when Bob begins to lose his own identity and have schizophrenic behavior, he is submitted to tests to check his mental conditions.

A Quick Review: I feel bad giving this such a negative rating as it has won so many awards and is a film like no other, with an interesting concept. However it took me until the last few scenes to even understand it and I still don’t think I really get it unfortunately. 
It’s a shame as I wanted to like it but I jut found it a little dull due to this lack of understanding. It’s a shame as I wanted to like it. The style of animation jarred with me a little but it did allow for the great acting from Robert Downey Jr and Keanu Reeves to shine through. 
It was just the overly complex plot that let it down.

Score: 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...