Sunday 22 July 2012

Sideways

UK Release: 28th January 2005
Watched on DVD: Sunday 1st July 2012
Rating: 15
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance
Runtime: 2hrs 6mins
Tagline: In search of wine. In search of women. In search of themselves.
IMDb Plot Synopsis: Two men reaching middle age with not much to show but disappointment, embark on a week long road trip through California's wine country, just as one is about to take a trip down the aisle.

A Quick Review: If I’m honest I don’t have much to say about Sideways other than I was disappointed by it. It started off well as an oddball kind of a film which I thought I might settle in to. However, gosh, it was dull and very long and drawn out. Couple with that with some very unlikeable characters (however reasonable the acting) and I just didn’t really enjoy it. 
Despite this it was shot rather well, travelling the ‘wine country’ with some nice cinematography. And the quirky humour at times was refreshing but it just didn’t really float my boat. I liked the focus on the friendship (or ‘bromance’ - although they seem to both love and hate each other in equal measure!) between these two men and how this trip both changed their lives and didn’t at all. But ultimately it was too slow and not enough to it for my taste. I can see why some people would love it, but unfortunately I just didn't warm to it.
Score: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...