Wednesday 11 July 2012

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

UK Release: 29th July 2005
Watched on Live TV: Saturday 23rd June 2012
Rating: PG 
Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Family
Runtime: 1hr 55mins
Tagline: Willy Wonka Is semi-sweet and nuts
IMDb Plot Synopsis: When Willy Wonka decides to let five children into his chocolate factory, he decides to release five golden tickets in five separate chocolate bars, causing complete mayhem. The tickets start to be found, with the fifth going to a very special boy, called Charlie Bucket. With his Grandpa, Charlie joins the rest of the children to experience the most amazing factory ever. But not everything goes to plan within the factory.

My Review: I turned on the television in my hotel room and upon finding this film playing I decided to watch it. I don’t know what it is but it gives me a sense of warmth and homeliness - despite it’s darkness and oddities! 
There’s just something nostalgic about it and its that childhood feel that sent me off to sleep - doing the job nicely! It’s a black comedy though really - much darker than the 1971 original which I watched on VHS repeatedly when I was younger. Which I suppose has to do with Tim Burton’s influence! 
And with the Burton and Deep team you also get a grand lavishness about it and some fantastic acting that keeps you compelled until the very last wonderful scene.
It’s not perfect, and not quite as good as ‘Willie Wonka’ the original but is beautiful to watch and a great take on this magical story.
Score: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...