Tuesday 8 May 2012

Knocked Up

UK Release: 24th August 2007
Watched on Recorded TV: Tuesday 1st May 2012
Rating: 15
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance
Runtime: 2hrs 9mins
Tagline: A one night stand that turned into something more
IMDb Plot Synopsis: For fun loving party animal Ben Stone, the last thing he ever expected was for his one night stand to show up on his doorstep eight weeks later to tell him she's pregnant.

My Review: I started watching this movie a few years ago and couldn’t quite get to grips with it as I found the humour a bit immature and sexist (aren’t all Apatow films?!) but after trying again last week my opinion of the film has changed a little. I don’t know what’s happening to me but recently I’ve started to enjoy the childish Apatow-style humour in films such as The Hangover. And actually Knocked Up is much more of a girl friendly Apatow film as one of the leads is an actual women (gasp!) which definitely highlights the well-known sexist nature of the Apatow legion. The name Judd Apatow comes with many connotations for many people ranging from hilarious to crude. And while I was before swaying towards the latter I’m now starting to appreciate them as while granted they are very sexist and terribly unrealistic they can be (well, Knocked Up anyway) sweet and heartwarming.
There are many issues with this film (such as Heigl’s character going from being disgusted by the guy one second and in love with him the nest) - far to many to go into today - but ultimately I did enjoy as it requires very little participation and can actually be funny. 
Score: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...