Thursday 10 May 2012

Cougar Town

On TV: 2009
Channel: ABC - watched on LoveFilm Instant
Episode Type: Season 1 (24 Episodes)

In 1 Sentence: Happy, warm-hearted and hilarious - the perfect modern sitcom
Wiki Summary: Set in Gulfhaven, Florida (nicknamed "Cougar Town" since its high school teams are the Cougars), the series focuses on a recently divorced woman in her forties facing the often humorous challenges, pitfalls and rewards of life's next chapter, along with her son, ex-husband, and wine-loving friends who together make up her dysfunctional, but supportive and caring extended family.


My Review: I was completely not disappointed by Cougar Town - my expectation of a Friends-feeling sitcom that’s warm and funny was definitely fulfilled. Essentially I fell in love with this show and watched the entire season in a matter of three days. A 20 minute burst of sunshine-y happiness cheered me right up from being sick and I now adore every single character, or should I say ‘the cul-de-sac crew’! Courtney Cox is better than expected; while she is incredible as Monica in Friends I was apprehensive that without the other five guys she would loose her shine but thankfully not! 
Yes, it’s hopelessly unrealistic but the Florida sunshine, glamorous fashion and quirky humour is a great lot of fun and its the perfect way to escape every day life. The dynamics between the characters are great - I especially loved the mother-son relationship between Cox and Dan Byrd. And while from the premise it may seem all about Jules (Cox) dating young men and being a ‘cougar’ after a few episodes its clear what it’s really about - love and friendship. It definitely works best when they’re all standing around the kitchen drinking red wine having some banter! 
I’m now a firm fan and can’t wait to dive into season 2 (I’m already on episode 4!)...

Score: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...