Thursday 26 April 2012

The Cabin in the Woods

UK Release: 13th April 2012
Watched in Cinema: Wednesday 25th April 2012
Rating: 15
Genre: Horror, Thriller
Runtime: 1hr 35mins
Tagline: You think you know the story. Think again.
IMDb Plot Synopsis: Five friends go for a break at a remote cabin in the woods, where they get more than they bargained for. Together, they must discover the truth behind the cabin in the woods.

SPOILER FREE
My Review: It’s so, so hard to talk about this film without giving away any spoilers, but I’ll try my best, because knowing as little as possible is absolutely the best way to watch this movie! Coming out of the cinema I wasn’t entirely sure what my thoughts were of Cabin in the Woods. It was clever, I give it that, very clever indeed, but did I like it? Well, over the past 24 hours I have gradually grown to really love and respect this film. There is just so much depth to it and it truly is like no film I’ve ever seen before!
I mentioned that it was clever, and it really, really is! The dialogue is smart and witty and it felt very fresh and modern and not at all downgrading or patronising as many horror films can be. And it was funny! Laugh out loud funny which really helped to break the tension - I didn’t think a horror film could be so funny. However it is a horror film and so as you would expect it is pretty darn scary at times and there were some gory moments near the beginning. 
The film actually opens with a conversation between two middle aged men in an office - something you wouldn’t expect! But, ahhh, it’s so clever as it is the perfect way to begin as later when you see what the purpose for their office is it really sets the tone for the film. 
I was initially intrigued to watch Cabin the Woods after seeing the trailer as it seemed quite a postmodern film - parodying and pastiching the horror cliches  all at once and it puts a very unique spin on things! But boy does that trailer give nothing away! And rightly so as what you encounter is mind-blowing!
It’s a grown-up film, sure of itself, and so it allows us to really gets to know the characters, fleshing them out further than just the horror stereotypes. And this pays off later on as their character’s paths become inevitable and yet oh so satisfying. 
It was a creepy film and as the HUGE twist (I’m not joking it is fantastic!!) develops it goes way beyond the usual horror film with zombies trying to kill the kids in the woods and into new realms of chills. It’s not just the nightmare monsters that are frightening but actually, when it comes down to it it’s the humans that are creepy too - and that’s before adding another mind-boggling twist into the mix! The ending... !!
Believe the hype - this is very brilliant and clever film! I urge you to catch it if you can and I for one want to go see it again!
Score: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...