Sunday 18 March 2012

Bridesmaids

UK Release: 24th June 2011
Watched on DVD: Sunday 11th March 2012
Rating: 15
Genre: Comedy, Romance
Runtime: 2hrs 5mins
IMDb Plot Synopsis: Annie (Kristen Wiig), is a maid of honor whose life unravels as she leads her best friend, Lillian (Maya Rudolph), and a group of colorful bridesmaids (Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McLendon-Covey and Ellie Kemper) on a wild ride down the road to matrimony. Annie's life is a mess. But when she finds out her lifetime best friend is engaged, she simply must serve as Lillian's maid of honor. Though lovelorn and broke, Annie bluffs her way through the expensive and bizarre rituals. With one chance to get it perfect, she'll show Lillian and her bridesmaids just how far you'll go for someone you love.

My Review: Like many, I haven’t always got on with Apatow films, and so when the press for this film was noting how it’s like Apatow’s previous films but starring women I wasn’t entirely convinced. Then came the raving reviews and so I knew it was something I wanted to see for myself! 
Finally I managed to watch it and... I give in - I really liked it! It was funny! Perhaps even hilarious in places! This is, however, almost entirely down to Kristen Wiig who carries the majority of the film. She has always been one heck of a funny lady - I’d seen her recently in Adventureland and Ghost Town and she’d consistently stolen each scene she was in. It was about time she was given a leading role and I don’t think she could have asked for a much better one in Bridesmaids. Properly funny, frank and moving - it pretty much has all that you need for a great friday night film. It had much more depth than I was expecting as you really felt for the characters, which is often a rarity in comedies. And may I just say how ridiculously in love I am with Chris O’Dowd and his outrageously sexy accent right now. Ok. Got that off my chest...
I was pleasantly surprised by Jon Hamm, who I’ve only really seen in Mad Men - he got the character of arrogant prick spot on and was superb. Matt Lucas and Rebel Wilson play Wiig’s British sibling room-mates and every scene they were in was a gem. Perhaps it was that they were British - I don’t know - but it was played so honestly outlandish that it had me in fits!
Essentially I can’t wait to watch it all over again to catch the subtle gags going on in the background as that’s what’s great about having so many funny people in a room at once - there’s so much funny you have to watch it many, many times in order to take it all in! Don’t mind if I do...
Score: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...