Saturday 14 January 2012

Public Enemies

On TV: Wednesday 4th - Friday 6th January 2012
Channel: BBC One 9pm
Episode Type: 3 part drama series
In 1 Sentence: Incredibly effecting, powerful drama that blew me away: dramas just don’t get any better than this. 
BBC Summary: Three-part drama, created by Tony Marchant, exploring the relationship between a convicted murderer, released after serving 10 years in prison, and his probation officer.


My Review: I didn’t think the BBC could do much better than Great Expectations this year but, only days later they absolutely did. This completely surpassed my expectations and... wow, it just gave me goosebumps for the entire three hour duration. 
I haven’t seen such strong, moving performances (both Anna Friel and Daniel Mays just outstanding and a shoe-in for Baftas I hope) or just beautiful and delicate direction in a very long time. 
It was just perfection. 
And if you search around this blog you’ll see that I very rarely give a 10/10, in fact this could be only my second time, so if that doesn’t tell you how special this drama is I don’t know what will. 
Every episode I broke down in tears and every single twist brought a twinge to my heart. And the ending...
This has to be up there with some of the BBC’s best dramas they’ve ever produced such as Occupation and Dive to name but a couple. Come to think of it all three of those dramas have something in common, I believe. They were all shown on successive nights and this may be a key to the drama’s success (Aisling Loftus actually starred in both Dive and Public Enemies and was excellent in both, proving just how much of a rising star she is). Such power comes from immediacy; being in a hazy bubble where you just can’t wait to find out what happens next and being satisfied immediately makes it all the more sweeter.
Public Enemies should win every award going and already makes the top of my top drama’s of the year. It’s going to be tough to beat...

Score: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...